- The contest is open to pupils from seven (7) to thirteen (13) years old. This concerns school pupils born on or between 1st April 2002 and 31st March 2009.
- Skywalkers submit pictures they have created individually. The term ‘picture’ can apply to images created by any medium either manually (drawing, painting, mosaics etc.) or electronically (photographs, drawings made with computer design programs etc.). Pictures not created electronically must be scanned and uploaded in one of the approved formats.
- Skywalkers do not compete in teams but must be helped with registration and submission by an adult (teacher, family member or youth leader).
- Each Skywalker contestant can submit only one picture for the contest.
- All contestants must submit an original space science picture based on the themes and challenges specified for their age category.
- Contestants may submit a digital entry from 1st September 2015 to 31st March 2016.
- All entries submitted must be the contestants’ own work, carried out specifically for this contest.
- In the Skywalker picture category all submissions will be judged by online voting by the contestants themselves. A winner and two runners-up will be found in each participating EU country and each bloc of non-EU countries, in each of the two age groups: seven (7) to ten (10) years old (Junior Skywalkers) and eleven (11) to thirteen (13) years old (Senior Skywalkers). The age groups assignments will be determined by each Skywalker contestant’s age on the last day of submission (31st March 2016). The Junior Skywalker category concerns school pupils born on or between 1st April 2005 and 31st March 2009. The Senior Skywalker category concerns school pupils born on or between 1st April 2002 and 31st March 2005.
- Before the online voting by Skywalker contestants for pictures in their own age group, the best pictures in each age group in each country will be selected by the contest judges to be voted on by the contestants. This is to ensure a manageable number of pictures to present to the Skywalkers for consideration.
- Skywalker contestants will only vote on the pictures in their own country and age group.
- Skywalker pictures submitted from non-EU countries will form a single bloc within their assigned region, and will be sifted and voted on as though they formed a single country.
- Results of the Skywalker picture contest national winners will be announced on 3rd June 2016.
- Online voting among the national winners will start after the announcement of the finalists and will last until 3 July 2016. The two winners of the Skywalkers category will be announced in the Odysseus II Contest award ceremony on 7 July 2016.
- Skywalkers in the picture contest will not participate in regional semi-finals, nor will they travel to the European final in Brussels or Toulouse, but the national winners will be announced, and their pictures displayed, at the international final.
- Each participant must provide a signed parental consent form to participate in the contest.
- Every Skywalker contestant should have an adult (teacher, family member or youth leader) to assist them.
- Each adult (teacher, parent or guardian) may submit up to fifty (50) pictures from fifty (50) different Skywalker contestants, so long as parental consent is given for each one.