- The contest is open to pupils from seven (7) to thirteen (13) years old. This concerns school pupils born on or between 1st April 2003 and 31st March 2010.
- The Junior Skywalker category concerns school pupils born on or between 1st April 2006 and 31st March 2010. The Senior Skywalker category concerns school pupils born on or between 1st April 2003 and 31st March 2006. The age groups assignments will be determined by each Skywalker contestant’s age on the last day of submission (31st March 2017).
- Skywalkers submit original pictures they have created individually. The term ‘picture’ can apply to artwork created by any medium either manually (drawing, painting, mosaics etc.) or electronically (photographs, drawings made with computer design programs etc.). Pictures not created electronically must be scanned and uploaded in one of the approved formats.
- Skywalkers do not compete in teams but must be helped with registration and submission by an adult (teacher, family member or youth leader).
- Each Skywalker contestant can submit only one picture for the contest.
- All contestants must submit an original space science picture based on the themes and challenges specified for their age category.
- Contestants may submit a digital entry from 1st September 2016 to 31st March 2017.
- All entries submitted must be the contestants’ own work, carried out specifically for this contest.
- A jury panel of educators, artists and space sector personalities will evaluate all entries and the pictures with the highest mark in the Junior and in the Senior category will win the Grand Prizes for the Skywalkers category.
- Provided that there will be at least five (5) entries submitted in an EU country for each Skywalkers age group, national winners for Junior and / or Senior Skywalker will be announced for these countries and age groups.
- Skywalker pictures submitted from non-EU countries will form a single bloc and the best pictures in each age group (Junior and Senior) will be announced as though they formed a single country.
- Results of the Skywalker category international and national winners will be announced on the award ceremony that will take place in July 2017.
- Skywalkers in the artwork contest will not participate in regional semi-finals, nor will they travel to the International final in Toulouse.
- Each participant must provide a signed parental consent form to participate in the contest.
- Every Skywalker contestant should have an adult (teacher, family member or youth leader) to assist them.
- A teacher may submit up to fifty (50) pictures from fifty (50) different Skywalker contestants, so long as parental consent is given for each one.